ANNUAL PARISH MEETING (Part 1)
This year’s Annual Parish Meeting is being held on Sat. 29th April between 9.30 am – 12.00 noon at the Crawford Memorial Hall. As the village grows and we welcome new residents, the Parish Council decided to use this opportunity to invite ALL the local community to an event where they can meet Councillors, the various local community and sports associations as well as each other. Bidford has a lot to offer and this is a unique opportunity to find out just how much!! So put this date in the diary and the Council looks forward to welcoming you on Sat. 29th April. Full details available at http://www.bidfordonavon-pc.gov.uk/events.htm#e0429 THIS IS YOUR VILLAGE - GET TO KNOW AND BE PROUD OF IT
Friday 28 April 2017, 7.00pm at Crawford Memorial Hall.
Bidford-on-Avon Parish has a population of approximately 5,000 people. It comprises the villages of Barton, Bidford-on-Avon and Marlcliff, which make up the Bidford-on-Avon Ward and are represented by nine councillors, and the village of Broom which makes up the Broom Ward and has its own representative, making a total of ten councillors. Both Bidford and Broom are mentioned in the well known Shakespeare drinking rhyme – drinking Bidford and beggarly Broom.
The Parish Council, which has been in existence since 1895, belongs to the Stratford-on-Avon District and has three ward councillors as well as a county councillor. The Parish Council has a very good relationship with all its District and County Councillors, who regularly attend the monthly Parish Council Meetings. It also as a very good working relationship with the local Community Beat Officer and PCSO.
The Council has a long time lease on its Parish Council Office and Meeting Room which are situated in the School/Library complex on Bramley Way. It is also the Trustee of the Crawford Memorial Hall, which is the Village Hall. Broom also has a Village Hall which reopened in September 2006. Both village halls are the venues for a number of local events – check the Upcoming Events page for details.
A Parish Appraisal, known as B50 for the local postcode, was carried out in 2003 and has now been adopted by District Council. The Parish Council is in the process of ensuring that all the matters which can be 'driven' by the Parish are implemented and, where necessary, monitored.
Bidford-on-Avon itself has grown quite considerably in the last decade, with some considerable developments being built in the fringes of the village: St. Laurence, just off the Waterloo Road; Old School Mead, on the site of the old school; and further developments at Friday Furlong and Waterloo Road. The Parish Council is very concerned about what it considers the over-development of the village and is trying to stop further back garden developments taking place, although it is not finding this easy.
One of the main features of Bidford-on-Avon is a twenty-six acre riverside meadow, called the Big Meadow, which the Parish Council leases together with the adjacent field known as Monie Meadow from the Trustees of Alice, Duchess Dudley. It is open all year round for walkers and in the summer, for a small charge, visitors can park their cars there – this is free to residents of the village on production of a card which they can obtain at the Parish Council Office.
Apart from the Big Meadow, the Parish Council is responsible for other open space areas: Marleigh Road, Jubilee Close, The Leys and King's Lane (Broom) all of which are leased, and Dugdale Avenue which it has recently acquired. It is responsible for the maintenance of all these areas which includes mowing, strimming, trees, hedge trimming, litter collection, dog bins, play equipment inspection and, where relevant, toilet cleaning, gate keeping etc.
The Parish Council owns the Bidford Youth Club site, two cemeteries and two allotments sites, and has a maintenance contract for the closed churchyard of St. Laurence.
There are three distinct conservation areas in Barton, Bidford-on-Avon and Broom with a number of listed and noteworthy buildings, including the Parish Church of St. Laurence which celebrated its 800th year in 2006. The hamlet of Marlcliff, which is situated near the bank of the River Avon, includes a number of well kept traditional Warwickshire cottages.
Latest Additions to this Website
- 20/04/17: Agenda - for Parish Council Meeting on 24 April 2017.
- 19/04/17: Links - a link to Remembering You: Grave Tending Services website.
- 14/04/17: Minutes - from March's Planning Committee meeting.
- 14/04/17: Notice - temporary closure of various roads in Bidford.
- 14/04/17: Notice - temporary closure of various roads in Broom.
- 10/04/17: Notice - Parish Council Office Easter closure dates.
- 10/04/17: Notice - Statement of persons nominated for County Councillor elections.
- 06/04/17: Agenda - for Planning Committee Meeting on 10 April 2017.
- 06/04/17: Minutes - approved minutes from November's Finance and Strategy meeting.
- 02/04/17: Events - Bidford Rural Cinema films for May.
- 01/04/17: Events - Annual Meeting of the Parish.
- 01/04/17: Events - Vintage Gathering on the Big Meadow.
- 01/04/17: Events - Visit Bidford events for 2017.
- 29/03/17: Agenda - for Strategy Meeting on 3 April 2017.
- 29/03/17: Minutes - from February's Parish Council meeting.
- 29/03/17: Events - An evening of Play Reading at Bidford Library.
- 29/03/17: Events - Bidford and Community Choir Summer Concert.
- 29/03/17: Procedures - updated Standing Orders, Financial Regulations and Control Policy.
- 29/03/17: Notice - burial charges effective from 31 March 2017.
- 29/03/17: Other Newsletters - SDC Parish and Partners Briefing for March 17.
- 27/03/17: Notice - The Big Meadow opens for the 2017 season on 1 April.
- 25/03/17: Notice - election notice for County Councillor for Bidford and Welford Division.
- 22/03/17: Agenda - for Parish Council Meeting on 27 March 2017.
- 18/03/17: Minutes - from February's Planning Committee meeting.
- 10/03/17: Agenda - for Planning Committee Meeting on 13 March 2017.
- 07/03/17: Events - Alcester and Bidford Community Forum.
- 07/03/17: Events - Bidford Rural Cinema films for April.
- 07/03/17: Events - Bidford Senior Citizens Action Network (SCAN) events.
- 05/03/17: Events - Spring events for Bidford Bowling Club.
- 05/03/17: Bowling Club - The Green season starts on 14 April 2017.
- 02/03/17: Minutes - from January's Parish Council meeting.
- 02/03/17: Finance - the Parish Council's Budget for 2017/18.
- 02/03/17: Notice - government subsidies available if your broadband speed isn't good enough.
- 02/03/17: Churches - new website address for St Joseph the Worker.
- Previous Updates
This website was last updated on 22 April, 2017